- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is The Church-Turing Thesis in TOC?
The Church-Turing thesis says that every solvable decision problem can be transformed into an equivalent Turing machine problem.
It can be explained in two ways, as given below −
The Church-Turing thesis for decision problems.
The extended Church-Turing thesis for decision problems.
Let us understand these two ways.
The Church-Turing thesis for decision problems
There is some effective procedure to solve any decision problem if and only if there is a Turing machine which halts for all input strings and solves the problem.
The extended Church-Turing thesis for decision problems
A decision problem Q is said to be partially solvable if and only if there is a Turing machine which accepts precisely the elements of Q whose answer is yes.
A proof by the Church-Turing thesis is a shortcut often taken in establishing the existence of a decision algorithm.
For any decision problem, rather than constructing a Turing machine solution, let us describe an effective procedure which solves the problem.
The Church-Turing thesis explains that a decision problem Q has a solution if and only if there is a Turing machine that determines the answer for every q ϵ Q. If no such Turing machine exists, the problem is said to be undecidable.
- Related Articles
- What is Turing Machine in TOC?
- What are the Turing machine variations in TOC?
- Explain the universal Turing machine in TOC
- Explain Multi tape Turing Machine in TOC?
- How to use Turing machines to recognize languages in TOC?
- What is the decision problem in TOC?
- What is the Halting Problem in TOC?
- What is Decidability in TOC?
- Witch hunts and the Catholic Church
- What is Inductive Hypothesis in TOC?
- What is unambiguous grammar in TOC?
- What is NP-completeness in TOC?
- What is Kleene’s Theorem in TOC?
- What is a Derivation tree in TOC?
- What is a mealy machine in TOC?