Verbal Ability - Direct & Reported Speech
Direct speech are exact quotes of the speech. They are completely identical transcripts of speech between two people.
He said, “Tell me what you know.”
I said, “I don’t know anything on this topic.”
Reported speech is the way a listener would narrate the incident in front of another person.
He asked me to tell what I knew
I said that I didn’t know anything on that topic.
Direct to Reported Speech
The verbs in present tense will change into their corresponding past tenses in the following manner −
- Simple present to simple past
- Present progressive to past progressive
- Present perfect to past perfect
- Present perfect progressive to past perfect progressive.
- The word “will, shall” will be replaced by “would”.
- The word “can” will be replaced by “could”.
The only action words that will not change its tense are actions that are universal truth.
- Direct Speech − “The Sun rises in the east.”
- Indirect Speech − He told me that the sun rises in the east.