- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is the operating system?
A modern computer consists of the following −
One or more processors
Various input/output devices
So, in order to manage all these components, we require a layer of software in the computer system, that layer we call the Operating System (OS).
An Operating System is a program that acts as an intermediary or interface between a user of a computer and the computer hardware. It is the most important type of system software in computer systems.
Without an operating system the user cannot run application programs on the computer system.
Generally, a computer system consists of four main components, called hardware, application programs, operating system, and users.
These components of a computer system are shown in the figure below −
The operating system acts like a government in a country, just like the government controlling, monitoring, helping the country, the operating system managing all the computer components and helping to execute programs correctly.
Moreover to avoid conflicts that occur when users use the same resource, the operating system regulates which users can access a resource.
Goals of Operating System
The main goals of Operating system are as follows −
Control user or application programs.
Execute user or application programs.
Make the computer system convenient to use.
Ease in solving the user problems.
Using the computer hardware in an efficient manner.
- What is the operating system evolution?
- What is the Network Operating System?
- What is the operating system structure?
- What is an Operating System?
- What is the Real Time Operating System?
- What is a batch operating system?
- What is a Multiprocessing Operating System?
- What is a distributed Operating System?
- What is an embedded operating system?
- What is a multiprogramming Operating System?
- What is a process in Operating System?
- What is Context Switching in Operating System?
- What is Multitasking/Time Sharing Operating System?
- What is operating system design and implementation?
- What is operating system debugging and booting?