- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain the concept of Normalization in DBMS?
It is the process of organizing the data in a database. It helps in removing the duplicate values in the database. Normalization divides the large table into smaller tables and links them using relationships.
The normal form is used to reduce redundancy from the database table. Normalization is the name given to the process of simplifying the relationship among data elements in a record.
In simple words we can say,
Normalization is the process of organizing data to minimize.
Insertion, deletion, updating anomalies.
There are six Normal forms which are as follows −
- First Normal Form (1NF)
- Second Normal Form (2NF)
- Third Normal Form (3NF)
- Boyce-Codd Normal Form (BCNF)
- Fourth Normal Form (4NF)
- Fifth Normal Form (5NF)
These forms are explained in the figure given below −
Objective of Normalization
The main objectives of using normalization technique are as follows −
It provides a formal framework for analysing the relations based on the key attributes and their functional dependencies.
Freeing the relations from insertion, update and delete anomalies.
Reducing the need of re-structuring the tables.
While decomposing, the normalization process should ensure the following two properties are satisfied −
Lossless join or nonadditive property − It guarantees that the spurious tuples are not generated with respect to the relation schemas created after decomposition.
Dependency preservation property − It ensures that every functional dependency is represented in some of the individual relations resulting after decomposition.
Denormalization − It is the process of storing the join of higher normal form relations as a base relation- which is in a lower normal form.
- Explain the concept of recoverability in DBMS
- Explain the concept of indexing in DBMS
- Explain the cardinality concept in DBMS?
- Explain the concept of secondary index in DBMS
- Explain the concept of DBMS schema with examples?
- Explain the concept of the traditional file system in DBMS?
- Explain the concept of foreign keys with examples(DBMS)?
- Explain the concept of primary key with an example (DBMS)?
- Explain the concept of key attributes with an example in DBMS?
- Explain the concept of magnetic disk with the help of a diagram(DBMS)
- Explain the concept of amalgamation
- Explain the concept of Regular expression.
- Explain the concept of trial balance
- Explain the characteristics of DBMS?
- Explain the architecture of DBMS?