- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Database Normalization removes redundancy of data and anomalies in a poorly designed table. The process of normalization converts an unnormalized table in a normalized form.
Let us see what flaws are in an Unnormalized table i.e. why Normalization of Database is so crucial −
Redundancy of Data
Storing same data item multiple times is known as Data Redundancy.
Let us see an example −
We have an <Employee> table that has a field to store current address of Employees. Some of these employees are given a place to live by the company; therefore, they have the same address. The address will be repeated in the database −
|E001||Emma||20, Street 17, Connecticut|
|E002||Jack||20, Street 17, Connecticut|
|E003||Adams||20, Street 17, Connecticut|
|E004||John||21, Street 17, Connecticut|
|E005||Rocky||21, Street 17, Connecticut|
To solve it, store the employee address in a separate table and point in the <Employee> table.
It occurs when you face issues while updating a table.
Let’s say the company decide to close a Department in the company, then the deletion of row would also lead the deletion of that employees data.
It occurs when you try to insert data in a record that does not exist.
Normalization removes all the above issues/ anomalies and gives you a normalized perfect database design that a database administrator love.
- Importance of Database Normalization
- Difference between Normalization and Denormalization
- Matrix Multiplication and Normalization in C program
- Explain the concept of Normalization in DBMS?
- De-normalization and Analytic views in SAP HANA
- How can Tensorflow be used to build normalization layer using Python?
- After normalization, how can Tensorflow be used to train and build the model?
- Explain how L1 Normalization can be implemented using scikit-learn library in Python?
- Explain how L2 Normalization can be implemented using scikit-learn library in Python?
- How can Tensorflow be used to build a normalization layer for the abalone dataset?
- Database Languages
- Centralised database
- Distributed database
- Personal database
- Commercial Database