- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the services provided by an OS with multiple users?
Before discussing about the services provided by operating system with multiple users, let us recall the services that operating system itself provides what services −
Operating system services
An operating system provides services to programs and to the users also. It mainly provides the environment for programs to execute and makes the programming task easier.
The common services are as follows −
Operating system loads the program into CPU memory for execution and it is able to end its execution either normally or abnormally.
Operating system provides any I/O devices that are required for the program.
File system manipulation
Programs need to modify the files whenever required, OS allows to do modifications for the files by giving permissions.
Communication between the systems or processes can be implemented with the help of a network and is allowed or supported by the OS.
There are two types of communications which are as follows −
Services with Multiple Users
Now let us see the services provided by OS with multiple users −
If there are more than one user running at same time, then resources have to be allocated to each of them.
OSes that manage different types of resources require special allocation code like main memory, CPU cycles, file storage.
There are some resources which require only general request for allocating CPU, the CPU scheduling algorithms are used for better utilization of CPU.
Logs of each user have to be kept, it is also necessary to keep which user, what resources, how much need to be kept track.
The accounting data may be used for billing and maintaining statistics. It also improves system efficiency.
It involves ensuring all access to system resources is controlled. Security starts with each user having to authenticate to the system.
External I/O devices are protected from invalid access attempts. All the access to the resources is controlled.
- What are the services provided by the transport layer?
- What are the services provided by the Network Layer?
- What are the services provided by Data Link Layer?
- What are services provided to transport layer by network layer?
- What are the main shift operators provided by Java? Explain with an example?
- How interrupt is handled by OS and what are the services for user and system?
- What are the Data Link Layer services provided to the Network Layer?
- Explain the services provided by Network Layer in Computer Network.
- What are the types of buttons provided by JavaFX?
- What are the User friendly interfaces provided by DBMS?
- What are various 3D shapes provided by JavaFX?
- What are various 2D shapes provided by JavaFX?
- What are various XY charts provided by JavaFX?
- What are hardware and software resources managed by the OS?
- What are the differences between Client OS and Server OS?