- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is Tree Network Topology in Computer Network?
A tree network topology hierarchically links computers and requires data to circulate through the branches. In this network, various terminals and computers are connected to the main computer in a hierarchical aspect, with each additional device branching from one of the higher level.
It uses simple software to control the network. Tree topology provides a concentration point for control and error resolution. It is the central computer which is at the topmost order of hierarchy. Mostly it is a mainframe computer. This topology is also known as a vertical network or a hierarchical network. The topology is shown in the figure.
The main computer, M, instructs the traffic flow between various components.
It uses a distributed aspect, and thus every computer is managed by its upper-level computer. In figure C and D, the system is controlled by B, similarly, F and G are controlled by E, and further A, B and E are controlled by M. Thus, indirectly, all the computers are controlled by the main computer M. Still, no doubt the controlling of children system by its parent reduce the workload of main computers. The topology is thus simple from the point of control, but at the same time, it is sure that if the main computer fails, the entire network can fail.
The advantages of the tree network topology are as follows −
- Controlling and control software is very simple.
- A new node at the lowest levels can be inserted very efficiently.
The disadvantages of the tree network topology are as follows −
- If the topmost computer fails, it can lead to the failure of the entire network.
- If an intermediate level computer fails, it can cause the loss of its lower level machines from the network.
- If an original node is to be added at higher levels, it is complicated.
- If the levels boost, it can lead to an intricate network.
- What is Star Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Ring Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Bus Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is MultiDrop Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Fully-Interconnected Network Topology?
- What is Computer Network?
- What is LAN (Local Area Network) in Computer Network?
- What is MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) in Computer Network?
- What is WAN (Wide Area Network) in Computer Network?
- What is Storage Area Network (SAN) in Computer Network?
- What is a Computer Network?
- What is Computer Network Architecture?
- What is Payload in Computer Network?
- What is multicasting in Computer Network?
- What is Broadcasting in Computer Network?