What is a Computer Network?
A computer network is a collection of computing devices that are connected with each other for the purpose of information and resource sharing among a wide variety of users.
Each device in the network is called a node which is connected to other nodes through wired or wireless media.
The features of a computer network are −
- Sharing − Computer networks enable sharing of files, software, hardware resources and computing capabilities.
- Speed: The communication speed among the components is fast enough to be comparable with a centralized system.
- Scalability − Sizes of computer networks dynamically increase with time. The networks have to be scalable so that they can evolve adequately for future deployments.
- Integration − All the components of the network work in a coordinated manner for a seamless user experience.
- Security − Networks allow security and access rights to the users for restricted sharing of resources and information.
- Cost Effectiveness − Networking reduces the deployment cost of hardware and software of a centralized system.
Published on 13-Jul-2018 07:19:10