- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is Ring Network Topology in Computer Network?
A ring network topology consists of multiple computers or devices communicated in a closed-loop by a single communication medium. The information traverse around the ring to every station because it reaches the desired computer or device. It is so termed because of the circular method of the data flow. Generally, the data flow is unidirectional, but it must be bidirectional too. In a unidirectional ring, the data act in one direction only, while in bidirectional, it works in both directions.
It is another popular technique for network configuration. The ring network topology is displayed in the figure below −
A ring network frequently uses a bit-serial transmission medium, including twisted pairs or coaxial cables. A master clock can be used to communicate to each station when to read and write bits, or the timing data can be encoded into the information as long as specific restrictions are met to keep up the ring from flooding.
Following are the advantages of ring topology −
- It is a truly distributed data processing system.
- It is more decent than the star network.
- If one station fails in the network or a channel between two fails, an alternate routing is possible.
Following are the disadvantages of ring topology −
- Communication delay is directly proportional to the multiple nodes in the network.
- It has more complicated control software.
- What is Star Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Tree Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Bus Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is MultiDrop Network Topology in Computer Network?
- Explain the Token Ring Network (IEEE Standard 802.5) in Computer Network.
- What are the Token Ring Frame Formats in Computer Network?
- What is Fully-Interconnected Network Topology?
- What is Computer Network?
- What is LAN (Local Area Network) in Computer Network?
- What is MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) in Computer Network?
- What is WAN (Wide Area Network) in Computer Network?
- What is Storage Area Network (SAN) in Computer Network?
- What is a Computer Network?
- What is Computer Network Architecture?
- What is multicasting in Computer Network?