- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is LAN (Local Area Network) in Computer Network?
A local area network is a comparatively lesser and privately-owned network with the highest duration of 10km to support local connectivity within a building or limited geographical area.
In private offices, this type of networking is trendy and effectively used. They are generally used to interface with personal computers and buildings, incorporate workplaces and industry to share resources and transfer data.
The figure shows a LAN having computers from several departments like Sales, Finance, Production, Publication, etc.
Features of LAN
Limited Geographic Limits
A LAN is constructed for a limited area. It usually traverses a single frequency workgroup floor in a building or on campus etc. LAN uses different protocols or rules for information transmission.
Limited number of users
Generally, LAN supports fewer numbers of users, frequently around five or ten, and more users can be supported by associating multiple LANs, which provides better results than creating one big-network of the nature of LAN.
Reliability and Stability
LANs are very reliable. Failures on a LAN are generally because of wrong or incorrect installation. Monitoring software that comes with a LAN supports beneficial programs like error recognition, prevention of transmission loss and outstanding security features.
A major growth in LANs today is the flexibility they often. Earlier adaptation would provide only one type of desktop computers. Today advanced LANs, however, can provide various types of computers. This flexibility also develops operating systems and repository media.
Security and Administration
A LAN administrator is one who handles the working of a LAN. The administrator deals with functions like adding or removing users, generating passwords, providing authorizations and different resources like printers and backing up information. These functions can be implemented without much difficulty since both hardware and software are relatively simple to handle today.
- What is MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) in Computer Network?
- What is WAN (Wide Area Network) in Computer Network?
- What is Storage Area Network (SAN) in Computer Network?
- What is Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN)?
- What are(Wireless LAN) IEEE 802.11 Networks in Computer Network?
- What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of LAN in Computer Network?
- What is Star Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Ring Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Tree Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Bus Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is MultiDrop Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Computer Network?
- Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) in Computer Networking
- What is a Computer Network?
- What is Computer Network Architecture?