- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is a sonnet in English literature?
A small lyric poem of fourteen lines is a sonnet. There are two types of Sonnets: the Italian (Petrarchan) and the English (Shakespearean).
- In the Italian form,
There are two intrinsic divisions: the first part consists of 8 lines and the second part is of 6 lines, in all making 14 lines.
But the same does not happen in Shakesperian sonnets. William Shakespeare, the ‘Bard of Avon’, is noted to have mastered at least 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and a few other verses. His popularity can be estimated by the following “He was naturally learned; he needed not the spectacles of books to read nature. He looked inwards, and found her there", states John Dryden (1631–1700) in the ‘Essay of Dramatic Poesy’.
Milton Also Joined
Not only Shakespeare but John Milton, the greatest seventeenth-century poet, used the sonnet, not however for various purposes. To the sonnet, Wordsworth returned to awaken England from lethargy. Keats, who had studied Shakespeare and Milton to such purpose, discovered himself as a poet in his sonnet, ‘On First Looking into Chapman’s Homer.’ Hence, many poets adopted the use of sonnets and sonnet cycles like Sir Philip Sidney in Astrophel and Stella and so on.
It must be noted that the more successful a sonnet, the more the reader is apt to accept its beauty as if it had grown by a natural process like a flower. Hence, the fragrance of a good sonnet spreads manifold if a reader is deeply engrossed in the works of poets.
- What are some rhetorical devices commonly used in English Literature?
- What are the various literary devices used in English Literature?
- What is imagery in literature?
- Who was Francis Bacon and what was his contribution to English Literature?
- Is there any analogy of 'Satyam Shivam Sundaram' in English literature?
- What is personification in English?
- What is the Jaipur Literature Festival all about?
- What is Adverb Clause in English grammar?
- What is an adjective clause in English grammar?
- What are clauses in English Grammar?
- What are some helpful English phrases that can improve my English?
- What are the most commonly used Idioms in English?
- Learn English Easy in 2020: Everything You Should Know About Learning English
- Integer to English Words in Python
- What are the new English words you have learned today?