- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the various literary devices used in English Literature?
Literary Devices are the peculiar structures used by writers in their works in order to convey their messages in a simple manner to the readers.
The various literary devices used in English Literature are
Alliteration, Analogy, Allegory, Anaphora, Metaphor, Simile, Aphorism, Oxymoron, Onomatopoeia, Eulogy, Elegy, and others.
Alliteration: It is the device in which a number of words, having the same first consonant sound, occur close together in a series.Example- He had a haunting hat.
Analogy: It is the comparison of an idea or a thing with another. Metaphors and similes are used to draw analogies. A metaphor is an implied comparison while a simile is a direct comparison using the words “like” or “As”. Example- Her cheeks are like roses.
Anaphora: Repetition of a phrase or a word leads to the understanding of anaphora. Example- All that wealth, All that power.
Aphorism: Aphoristic statements refer to the wisdom-filled statements and speeches often given by the poets in their poems or the essayist in their prose piece. Francis Bacon often used such witty aphoristic statements.
Oxymoron: A figure of speech in which nearly contradictory terms appear in conjunction. Example: Beautiful death.
Onomatopoeia: It means the imitation of the sound. Example: The rustling of leaves.
Eulogy: It is used to praise somebody or something, especially when one is dead.
Elegy: It is a song or a poem with a lamenting tone that expresses the loss of a family member or a loved person. Example- Elegy Written In the Country Churchyard.
Conceit: It is a device in which two vastly different objects are linked together. Example: Motion in the mill is busy standing still.
Hyperbole: It involves an exaggeration of ideas. Example- The mistress’ eyes are lustrous as the sun.
- What are some rhetorical devices commonly used in English Literature?
- What is a sonnet in English literature?
- What are the most commonly used Idioms in English?
- What are the latest electronic home decor devices used these days?
- Who was Francis Bacon and what was his contribution to English Literature?
- What are Peripheral Devices?
- What are the default values used by DB2 for various data types?
- What are clauses in English Grammar?
- What are the various Smartphone Sensors?
- What are Network Connecting Devices?
- What are the Biometric Devices in information security?
- Is there any analogy of 'Satyam Shivam Sundaram' in English literature?
- What are some helpful English phrases that can improve my English?
- What are the various Components of Selenium?
- What are the various types of branches?