- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is an adjective clause in English grammar?
An adjective clause is a clause which performs the function of an adjective in a sentence. The adjective is a word which modifies a noun or pronoun in a sentence. For example, a tall man, (where tall is an adjective) etc.
The adjective clause may be introduced by a relative pronoun (whom, which, that, who etc) or relative adverb (where, when, after, before etc).
Examples of the Adjective Clause
Ram, who is the monitor of our class, is intelligent.
She is the neighbor, whose dog is Ill-behaved.
Give me a reason why should I believe you.
Here, 'who is the monitor of the class' in the first example,
'Whose dog is ill-behaved' in the second example and 'why should I believe you' are illustrations of adjective clauses.
The reason is that in the first example, Ram is a noun and the clause explains the noun. In the second example, 'neighbor' is a common noun and the clause explains it. In the third example, 'reason' is again a common noun and the best part of the sentence explains it.
NOTE: Adjective clause is a kind of subordinate clause, which may also be called a relative clause.
- What is Adverb Clause in English grammar?
- What are clauses in English Grammar?
- What is personification in English?
- What is Ambiguous Grammar?
- What is an Acceleration Clause and what is its significance?
- What is Context-sensitive Grammar?
- What is Context-Free Grammar?
- What is a sonnet in English literature?
- What is unambiguous grammar in TOC?
- What is context free grammar? Explain with examples
- What is type 3 grammar? Explain its properties
- What are some helpful English phrases that can improve my English?
- What are LEADING and TRAILING operation of an operator precedence grammar?
- What are Precedence Relations in Operator Grammar?
- What is the use of ORDER BY clause in MySQL?