- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to insert a temporary text in a tkinter Entry widget?
To insert a temporary text in a tkinter Entry widget, we will bind the <FocusIn> event with the Entry widget and call a user-defined function to delete the text inside the Entry widget.
Import the tkinter library and create an instance of tkinter frame.
Set the size of the frame using geometry method.
Create a user-defined method "temp_text()" to capture the <FocusIn> event and delete the temporary text inside the Entry widget.
Create an Entry widget inside the Root window and set its properties such as background color, width, and border width.
Use the insert() method of the Entry widget to insert a string from the starting location "0". This is the temporary text which will disappear when the Entry widget is in clicked.
Bind the <FocusIn> event with the Entry widget and call the temp_text() method.
Finally, run the mainloop of the application window.
# Import the required library from tkinter import * # Create an instance of tkinter frame win = Tk() # Define geometry of the window win.geometry("700x250") def temp_text(e): textbox.delete(0,"end") textbox = Entry(win, bg="white", width=50, borderwidth=2) textbox.insert(0, "This is Temporary Text...") textbox.pack(pady=20) textbox.bind("<FocusIn>", temp_text) win.mainloop()
Upon execution, it will show the following window −
When the user clicks inside the Entry widget, the temporary text will automatically disappear.
- How to set default text for a Tkinter Entry widget?
- How to insert the current time in an Entry Widget in Tkinter?
- How to highlight text in a tkinter Text widget?
- Get contents of a Tkinter Entry widget
- How to connect a variable to the Tkinter Entry widget?
- How to clear Text widget content while clicking on the Entry widget itself in Tkinter?
- How to use the Entry widget in Tkinter?
- How to disable an Entry widget in Tkinter?
- Setting the focus to a specific Tkinter entry widget
- Printing a list to a Tkinter Text widget
- How to create hyperlink in a Tkinter Text widget?
- How to use a StringVar object in an Entry widget in Tkinter?
- How to attach a Scrollbar to a Text widget in Tkinter?
- How to set focus on Entry widget in Tkinter?
- How to set the width of a Tkinter Entry widget in pixels?