- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to disable an Entry widget in Tkinter?
Tkinter Entry widget accepts single line user-input in an entry field. You can customize the width, background color and size of the entry widget based on the need of your application.
Let us assume that in a particular application, we want to disable an Entry widget. To disable the Entry widget, use state='disabled' property in the constructor. Disabling the Entry widget will not allow users to edit and add values to it.
Let us understand this with an example. In this example, we will create an Entry widget using the constructor Entry(master, **options) and a Button to disable it. The function disable_entry() will disable (grey out) the Entry widget.
# Import the required libraries from tkinter import * # Create an instance of tkinter frame win = Tk() # Set the size of the tkinter window win.geometry("700x350") def disable_entry(): entry.config(state= "disabled") # Create an entry widget entry=Entry(win, width= 40, font= ('Helvetica 16')) entry.pack(pady=20) # Create a button button=Button(win, text="Disable Entry", font=('Arial', 12), command=disable_entry) button.pack() win.mainloop()
If you run the above code, it will display a window with an Entry widget and a button to disable this Entry widget.
Now, click the button "Disable Entry" to disable the Entry widget.
- How to interactively validate an Entry widget content in tkinter?
- How to use the Entry widget in Tkinter?
- How to get the value of an Entry widget in Tkinter?
- How to insert the current time in an Entry Widget in Tkinter?
- How to use a StringVar object in an Entry widget in Tkinter?
- How to set focus on Entry widget in Tkinter?
- Get contents of a Tkinter Entry widget
- How to connect a variable to the Tkinter Entry widget?
- How to set default text for a Tkinter Entry widget?
- Getting the Cursor position in Tkinter Entry widget
- How to set the font size of Entry widget in Tkinter?
- How to insert a temporary text in a tkinter Entry widget?
- Setting the focus to a specific Tkinter entry widget
- How to clear Text widget content while clicking on the Entry widget itself in Tkinter?
- Return the input of the Entry widget in Tkinter