- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Getting the Cursor position in Tkinter Entry widget
We are already familiar with input forms where various single Entry fields are created to capture the user input. With Tkinter, we can also create a single input field using the Entry widget. Each character in the Entry field that the user enters is indexed. Thus, you can retrieve this index to get the current position of the cursor by using the index() method. To retrieve the current location of the cursor, you can pass the INSERT argument in this function.
# Import required libraries from tkinter import * from tkinter import ttk # Create an instance of tkinter window win = Tk() win.geometry("700x350") win.title("Get the Cursor Position") # Create an instance of style class style=ttk.Style(win) # Function to retrieve the current position of the cursor def get_current_info(): print ("The cursor is at: ", entry.index(INSERT)) # Create an entry widget entry=ttk.Entry(win, width=18) entry.pack(pady=30) # Create a button widget button=ttk.Button(win, text="Get Info", command=get_current_info) button.pack(pady=30) win.mainloop()
Running the above code will display a window with an Entry widget and a button which can be used to get the current index of the cursor.
Type some text in the Entry widget and click the "Get Info" button. It will print the current location of the cursor on the console.
The cursor is at: 15
- How to use the Entry widget in Tkinter?
- Return the input of the Entry widget in Tkinter
- Get contents of a Tkinter Entry widget
- Setting the focus to a specific Tkinter entry widget
- How to disable an Entry widget in Tkinter?
- How to connect a variable to the Tkinter Entry widget?
- How to set focus on Entry widget in Tkinter?
- How to get the value of an Entry widget in Tkinter?
- How to set the font size of Entry widget in Tkinter?
- Getting every child widget of a Tkinter window
- How to clear Text widget content while clicking on the Entry widget itself in Tkinter?
- How to insert the current time in an Entry Widget in Tkinter?
- How to interactively validate an Entry widget content in tkinter?
- How to set the width of a Tkinter Entry widget in pixels?
- How to change the Entry Widget Value with a Scale in Tkinter?