- Science & Technology Notes for UPSC IAS Prelims
- Science & Technology – Introduction
- Role of Science & Technology in Today’s Life
- Role of Science & Technology In India
- India: Development of Science & Technology
- Science & Technology Policy in India
- Information Technology
- Elements: Information Technology
- Cyber Crime & Cyber Security
- E-Infrastructure in India
- Artificial Intelligence
- Communication Technology
- Space Science & Technology
- Ocean Technology
- Nuclear Technology
- Nuclear Energy in India
- Nuclear Energy - By Country
- India - Nuclear Program
- India - Defence Technology
- Space Exploration - Timeline
- Satellites Launched by India
- Indian Space Research Organisations
- Foreign Satellites Launched by India
- Government Space Agencies
- The DRDO
Artificial Intelligence or simply AI is an experimental science being developed with the purpose to understand the nature of intelligent thought and subsequent action. It is presented by machines or software (computer).
In today’s context, largely, but of course not exclusively, Artificial Intelligence is related to Computer.
Therefore, study of AI also involves other disciplines including Psychology, Philosophy, Science, etc. (see the diagram given below) −
The conceptualization and progressive development of AI was started in 1940s; however, it was John McCarthy, a Stanford University researcher, who first coined this term.
John McCarthy is popular as the father of Artificial Intelligence.
Definition of Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence is a developmental science, and does not come with a complete definition; however, the definition given by Mr. McCarthy is still popular −
“An attempt will be made to find how to make machines use language, form abstractions and concepts, solve kinds of problems now reserved for humans, and improve themselves. We think that a significant advance can be made in one or more of these problems if a carefully selected group of scientists work on it together for a summer.”
Examples of AI
Following are a few examples of Artificial Intelligence in today’s world −
- Voice recognition by a computer system
- Image interpretation
- Face recognition
- Technology of biometrics
- Driverless vehicles
- Communication with machine, etc.
Applications of AI
In today’s technological world, AI is being applied in many different fields.
Application of AI Techniques in Network Intrusion Detection Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) protects computer and communication networks from intruders. Following are the major areas where Artificial Intelligence is applied −
- Application of AI Techniques in Medical Field
- Application of AI Techniques in Accounting Databases
- Application of AI Techniques in the Computer Games
- Application of AI Techniques in enhancing the human intelligence, etc.
Data mining is an interdisciplinary branch of computer science, which involves a complex computing process and technique to discover the patterns in huge data sets.
It is a computing process that involves various methods along with machine learning, statistics, and database systems. Data mining helps in managing large databases.
Robot is an electromechanical technology (machine), which is programmed in such a way that it can perform a series of works automatically.
A robot can perform a variety of tasks, as programmed through the computer.
Areas of AI
Following are the major areas wherein, artificial intelligence is used −
- Understanding the language
- Problem solving
- Learning and adoptive system
- Visual perception