- DCN Tutorial
- Data Comm & Networks Home
- DCN - Overview
- DCN - Computer Network Types
- DCN - Network LAN Technologies
- DCN - Computer Network Topologies
- DCN - Computer Network Models
- DCN - Computer Network Security
- Physical Layer
- DCN - Physical Layer Introduction
- DCN - Digital Transmission
- DCN - Analog Transmission
- DCN - Transmission media
- DCN - Wireless Transmission
- DCN - Multiplexing
- DCN - Network Switching
- Data Link Layer
- DCN - Data Link Layer Introduction
- DCN - Error detection and Correction
- DCN - Data Link Control & Protocols
- Network Layer
- DCN - Network Layer Introduction
- DCN - Network Addressing
- DCN - Routing
- DCN - Internetworking
- DCN - Network Layer Protocols
- Transport Layer
- DCN - Transport Layer Introduction
- DCN - Transmission Control Protocol
- DCN - User Datagram Protocol
- Application Layer
- DCN - Application Layer Introduction
- DCN - Client-Server Model
- DCN - Application Protocols
- DCN - Network Services
- DCN Useful Resources
- DCN - Quick Guide
- DCN - Useful Resources
What is VLAN in a computer network?
A virtual local area network (virtual LAN) is the logical grouping of network nodes.
In other words, a virtual LAN is any broadcast domain that is partitioned and isolated in a network. A VLAN allows several networks to work virtually as one LAN.
It gives an advantage to connect multiple devices whether it is wired or wireless to a combined single network. It works as a broadcast domain.
Benefits of VLAN
The benefits that are provided by implementing VLANs are as follows −
Reduce the number of routers.
All devices can be controlled by the same level.
It offers a broadcast domain that reduces the traffic.
It gives more security in the network.
Advantages of using VLAN
These are some of advantages of using VLAN which are as follows −
Reduce congestion on a large LAN.
Waste of administration
Confinement of broadcast domains
Uses of VLAN
The uses of VLANs are given below −
It is used in miniature business companies in order to facilitate the enhanced execution via imposing extra security, spreading and transferring the network devices, reducing the delay and minimizing the traffic burden over the network.
It is used in university campuses and academic blocks for implementation of instrument segregation, accessibility monitoring, restricting the circulation region with respect to network traffic, host versatility for Wi-Fi consumers and network supervision in a decentralized manner.
Working of VLAN
When a switch receives an Ethernet frame, the frame will either already have a VLAN tag or switch will insert a VLAN tag into the Ethernet header.
If the frame was received from another switch, that switch will have inserted the VLAN tag, whereas frames coming from network devices, such as computers will not have a VLAN tag.
If you are using switch defaults for VLANs, the VLAN tag that will be placed on the frame is VLAN1.
When placing a VLAN tag on the Ethernet frame, four bytes of data, which make up the VLAN tag, are inserted before the Type field.
This 4-byte header includes several pieces of information.
- Related Articles
- What is VLAN in the Computer Network?
- What is a Computer Network?
- What is Computer Network?
- What is Star Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Ring Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Tree Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Bus Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is MultiDrop Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What are VLAN, NAT and private IP’s in computer networks?
- What is Payload in Computer Network?
- What is multicasting in Computer Network?
- What is Broadcasting in Computer Network?
- What is Firewall in Computer Network?
- What is VPN in Computer Network?
- What is Modem in Computer Network?