- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is Shift Register?
A register adequate for changing its binary data in one or both directions is known as a shift register. The logical design of a shift register includes a series of flip-flops, with the output of one flip-flop linked to the input of the next flip-flop.
Operations of Shift Register
There are various modes of operations of shift registers which are as follows −
Serial-In Serial-Out Shift Register
The controlling of shifting of information decides the ‘serial-in serial-out’ shift register into the right shift and left shift register. The diagram demonstrates a ‘serial-in serial-out’ right shift register.
During the first clock pulse, the signal on the data input is latched in the first flip-flop. During the next clock pulse, the substance of the first flip-flop is saved in the second flip-flop, and the signal which is available at the data input is saved in the first flip-flop, etc. Because the information is recorded one bit at a time, we call it a serial-in shift register. If there is only one output, and data leaves the shift register one bit at a time. It is also referred to as a serial-out shift register.
Serial-In Parallel Out Shift Register
The ‘preset’ and ‘clear’ input commands can be supported to the flip-flops to access a parallel input. The parallel storing of the flip-flop can be synchronous or asynchronous rely upon the design of the shift register. The outputs of each flip-flop make a parallel output.
Parallel In Parallel Out Shift Register
In this register, there is concurrent access of all information bits and the bits occur on parallel outputs concurrently. The following diagram demonstrates a ‘parallel in parallel out’ shift register.
- What is Register Renaming?
- What is Register Transfer?
- What is General Register Organization?
- What is Shift Reduce Parser?
- What is the CPU control register?
- What is a register storage class in C language?
- What is design space of register renaming in computer architecture?
- What is control of Register and Memory in Computer Architecture?
- What is right shift (>>) operator in Python?
- What is Amplitude Shift Keying (ASK) in Computer Network?
- What is Phase Shift Keying (PSK) in Computer Network?
- What is Arithmetic Logic Shift Unit in Computer Architecture?
- What is the command used to register gecko driver in Selenium?