- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the Mesh-Connected Networks in Computer Architectures?
It is a point-to-point connection to other nodes or devices. All the network nodes are connected. Mesh has n (n-1)/2 physical channels to link n devices. Mesh architecture with wrap-around connections forms a torus. Several routing mechanisms have been used to route messages around meshes. One such routing mechanism is known as dimension-ordering routing. Using this technique, a message is routed in one given dimension at a time, arriving at the proper coordinate in each dimension before proceeding to the next dimension.
There are two techniques to transmit data over the Mesh topology that are as follows −
In routing, the nodes have a routing logic, as per the network requirements. Like routing logic to direct the data to reach the destination using the shortest distance. Or, routing logic which has information about the broken links, and it avoids that node, etc. We can even have routing logic, to re-configure the failed nodes.
In flooding, the same data is transmitted to all the network nodes, hence no routing logic is required. The network is robust, and it’s very unlikely to lose the data. But it leads to unwanted load over the network.
Types of Mesh Topology
Partial Mesh Network − In this network, some of the systems are connected in the same fashion as mesh topology but some devices are only connected to two or three devices.
Full Mesh Network − Every node or device is connected.
Advantages of Mesh Topology
- Each connection can carry its data load.
- It is robust.
- It is scalable
- The fault is diagnosed easily.
- It provides security and privacy.
Disadvantages of Mesh Topology
- Installation and configuration are difficult.
- Cabling cost is more.
- Bulk wiring is required.
- What is a Mesh Topology in Computer Networks?
- What is Cube-Connected Networks in Computer Architecture?
- What are the different network properties in Computer Architectures?
- What are Shift Micro-operations in Computer Architectures?
- What are the Gateways in Computer Networks?
- What are the Transmission Impairments in computer networks?
- What are the Protocol Hierarchies in Computer Networks?
- What are ISDN Layers in computer networks?
- What are noise impairments in Computer networks?
- What are Terrestrial Microwaves in computer networks?
- What are Satellite Microwaves in computer networks?
- What are the different access technologies in computer networks?
- What are Computer Networks and IP addresses?
- What are static routing algorithms in computer networks?
- What are Dynamic routing algorithms in computer networks?