- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why do we blink our eyes?
A common phenomenon in all of us along with most of the living beings is to blink our eyes. Though this lasts for 10th part of a second, we blink our eyes at least once for every 4 seconds to keep them wet. There get some cleaning and lubrication done when we blink our eyes. The more our eyes get strained, the more our eyes blink.
The Fact Folio
A person blinks 15 times a minute. Blinking will generally be rapid when some dust particles enter the eye or when we are under some stress or anxiety. But this gets slower than normal when one is in deep concentration.
Blinking is an involuntary muscular activity where the mucous secretions such as the tear layer that clears the eye, collect the dust to the duct where the fluid leaves the eye. This is mostly observed by us when we wake up from a good sleep or when we observe our eyes after a journey through heavy traffic.
The Key Reason
Our Eyes need blinking to keep them moist. This will lubricate the eyes and keep them away from drying, thus protecting the eyes. While we stare at a computer or a cell phone screen, we usually get so much involved that we blink our eye for just 7 times per minute, whereas it should be 14-15 times per minute. This is why most of us suffer dry eyes and are asked to use lubricating eye-drops.
- Related Articles
- Why do we close our eyes when we sneeze?
- Why do our eyes water when we cut onions?
- Why should we do our duty but leave the result to god?
- How do we measure our breathing?
- We can zoom camera, but why not the eyes?
- If we cut our vein why will we die?
- Why do we feel light on our feet when standing in a swimming pool with water up to our armpits ?
- Why do we get a mail first on our smartphone and then on a desktop?
- Why do we sneeze?
- Why do we reproduce?
- How do we test for nutrients in our food?
- Why do we need KDD?
- Why do we have bones?
- Why do we need Energy?
- Why do we fall ill?