- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What was the writing style of Thomas Carlyle?
Referring to Carlyle, Hugh Walker observed, “ Carlyle’ histories are, like his other works, intensely personal and also intensely practical.”
In The Hero as Divinity, he picturizes beautifully Igdrasil, the Ash tree of existence, and with a sigh contrasts with it the machine theory of the universe.
Carlyle’s Political Philosophy
Carlyle was the greatest critic of political ideas prevailing in his own day. His political ideas changed in the course of time. During his young age, he was radical and believer in Democracy, but as he grew older, he became more conservative.
He was a deeply religious man with implicit faith in God. He belonged to the company of escaped puritans and was a prophet, in whose writing we find a message even applicable to modern times.
Carlyle As A Critic
He was greatly influenced by British Criticism. To him, criticism must be neither pure panegyric nor bare censure. In Heroes and Hero Worship, he declares that the history of the world is the biography of the great man. The first qualification of the critic must be sympathy, the determination and the capacity to understand the thing criticized in the light of the creator’s purpose. Carlyle had this quality of a critic.
Carlyle As An Artist
He was a historian, preacher, literary critic, but also, more importantly, a literary artist. He reminded us of Shakespeare in two respects; in the immense resources of his language, and his power to extort from the language.
Whatever political and religious beliefs Carlyle had, they shaped and colored his thoughts. That colored thought of his, when put into words, gave us his aphoristic works. Thus, although Carlyle is no more with us, his works remain with us forever and he too remains in our hearts due to his brilliant works.
- Related Articles
- How was the writing style of Thomas Hardy different from Charles Dickens?
- What was the writing style of Walter Pater?
- Who was Robert Browning and what was special regarding his writing style?
- How was the writing style of Wordsworth different from Coleridge?
- What are the differences between the Chicago style and MLA style of writing?
- Thomas Jefferson
- John's income is 20% more than that of Mr Thomas. How much percentage is the income of Mr Thomas less than that of John?
- I feel inclined towards the writing style of only one author. Is it okay to have one particular favorite?
- What is the standard body for conventions of research writing?
- What are the rules for writing the symbol of an element?
- What is the use of ‘c’ option while writing MySQL statements?
- A particular amount of cash was distributed in the ratio of 3: 7. If the smallest share was rupees 2,100, what was the total amount of cash which was distributed ?
- What is Puppet? Components and Writing Manifests
- Agraphia: Lost of Writing Skill