- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What was the writing style of Walter Pater?
Walter Pater or Walter Horatio Pater was born August 4, 1839, in Shadwell, London and he died on July 30, 1894, at Oxford in Oxfordshire. He was a famous English critic, journalist, writer of fiction, university teacher, and an essayist.
Writing Style of Walter Pater
Aestheticism: Walter Pater is the man behind ‘Art for Art’s sake’, which even Oscar Wilde advocated of, the glimpse of which can be found in their writings. He evaluates art and his writing is thus related to art on the basis of their moral and educational value.
Versatile Writer: He exhibited in his work breadth of talents and interests. His most renowned work falls into cultural theory; art history including painting, sculpture, and architecture. He wrote on the critics of the old and modern English Literature too. He even wrote lecture articles, short stories etc. William E. Buckler says that Pater “is still one of the half-dozen indispensable critics in English; from, say, 1880 to 1920, he was without equal.”
Freshness In His Works: A. C. Benson called Pater's style "absolutely distinctive and entirely new", suggesting that there was some peculiar newness in his works.
Depth In Work: Pater’s work is not subtle and superficial. There is a certain depth and richness in his work.
Philosophical: Pater was not talking about things in the air. He enumerated aspects which could even be philosophical in nature.
Influential: The writing style of Pater is so masterly, that critics have even found its influence on Virginia Woolf, James Joyce etc.
Though Walter Pater is no more with us, he has still become immortal because of his writings.
- What was the writing style of Thomas Carlyle?
- Who was Robert Browning and what was special regarding his writing style?
- How was the writing style of Wordsworth different from Coleridge?
- How was the writing style of Thomas Hardy different from Charles Dickens?
- What are the differences between the Chicago style and MLA style of writing?
- What are the essentials of Walter's Dividend Model?
- What are the assumptions of Walter’s Dividend Model?
- What are the limitations of Walter’s Theory on Dividend Policy?
- What was the Bubonic Plague all about?
- What is the standard body for conventions of research writing?
- What was the time when you felt a person was actually a shrewd one?
- Who was the inventor of Periodic Table?
- Who was Francis Bacon and what was his contribution to English Literature?
- I feel inclined towards the writing style of only one author. Is it okay to have one particular favorite?