- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How was the writing style of Thomas Hardy different from Charles Dickens?
Victorian age is known as the richest age of English Literature. There was a rise in so many writings in terms of prose, fiction, and poetry. Out of the famous novelists, the contribution of Thomas Hardy and Charles Dickens cannot be overlooked.
Born in Higher Bockhampton, Dorset, England on June 2, 1840, Thomas Hardy was a pessimistic critic and a novelist. His inclination towards the countryside and life of Vessex was reflected in his works.
The man-nature relationship remains very indifferent to the man of his writings.
In fact, Hardy's tragic vision is a part of his pessimism.
The role of fate is too prominent in his works.
Characters are hapless victims in his creations. His man thinks that he owns the land, but land actually is omnipotent.
Hardy's famous works are The Return of the Native, The Mayor of Casterbridge etc. In the former work, Heath is a character itself described along with the Puritanism of Eustacia.
Born on February 7, 1812, in Portsea on the south coast of England. Charles Dickens' family belonged to the lower middle class.
He was one of the best representatives of his age as a novelist.
His representation of the essential human conditions is outstanding.
His realism, prose style, characterization and social criticism in his novels are works of social commentary.
He was a fierce critic of poverty with social stratification.
His famous works include Great Expectations, Oliver Twist wherein Oliver Twist shows images of early Victorian England.
Thus, although Hardy and Dickens existed in the same age, yet their writing styles were quite different. Hardy wrote on pessimistic themes invoking pathos, Dickens wrote issue based novels. He showed us how the situation was during his times without peppering with any additional seasoning to make it richer with pathos.
- Related Articles
- What was the writing style of Thomas Carlyle?
- How was the writing style of Wordsworth different from Coleridge?
- What was the writing style of Walter Pater?
- Who was Robert Browning and what was special regarding his writing style?
- What are the differences between the Chicago style and MLA style of writing?
- Charles Darwin
- Thomas Jefferson
- John's income is 20% more than that of Mr Thomas. How much percentage is the income of Mr Thomas less than that of John?
- EXPLAIN CHARLES LAW IN DETAIL
- How is the branch of kinematics different from mechanics?
- I feel inclined towards the writing style of only one author. Is it okay to have one particular favorite?
- Writing data from database to .csv file
- Set Media Queries for different CSS style rules for different size devices
- How to apply CSS style to the different elements having the same class name in HTML?
- How an alkali is different from the base?