- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is the "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" all about?
Samuel Taylor Coleridge is a popular name among all romantic poets who were influenced by the French Revolution. This poem is one of the most famous poems written by him.
The Plot of 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner'
It is a poem that involves Coleridge’s Treatment of the supernatural (connected with Christ and Christianity), Suspension of Disbelief, Realism, and Medieval-ism. It is a tale of retribution. The poem talks about a mariner who is traveling with his fellow sailors. Suddenly, when the mariner finds an albatross chasing them, the mariner at once kills the albatross in cold blood without any major reason. After the killing of the bird, nothing goes well with the mariner. He is not in a position even to hold communion with God. Killing an albatross is symbolic of showing a criminal disregard for a creature of nature.
These lines suggest the utter helplessness of the mariner.
'Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.'
In fact, there is not only the mariner and his crew but also the wedding guest who listens to the tale of the mariner patiently and experiences a similar dread.
The Theme of 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner'
Sin and Redemption − The effects of sin are deadly and long-lasting.
Punishment − If one commits a sin, punishment is bound to occur.
Prayer − One cannot ignore the power of prayer which helps one in getting rid of any problems and sins.
Fear − Fear automatically grasps one, if one has committed a sin or a crime.
Beauty − Everything in the world has a beauty of its own and one must respect it.
Thus, the moral of this whole long poem is that one should not try to play with the almighty God and interfere with Mother Nature, else punishment will soon follow.
- Related Articles
- The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner
- What is The Prelude all about?
- What is the Mohu Airwave all about?
- What is the Jaipur Literature Festival all about?
- What is the Sudarshan Kriya of the Art of Living organization all about?
- What is the famous poem Kubla Khan all about?
- What was the Bubonic Plague all about?
- What is the Temptation Scene in Absalom and Achitophel all about?
- What is Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book all about?
- All About the Pomodoro Technique
- What is the query to know about all character sets supported by MySQL?
- What are the six systems of Ancient Indian Philosophy?
- What are Python namespaces all about?
- All About Sleep Cycles and the Stages of Sleep
- All About Keto Cycling: What It Is, how to Do It?