- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is a rat-race junction in microwaves?
Rat-race junction is a microwave device used when there is a need to combine two signals with no phase difference and to avoid the signals that have a path difference.
A normal three port Tee junction is taken and 4th port is added to it, to make this rat-race junction. All of these ports are connected in angular ring forms at equal intervals using series or parallel junctions.
The mean circumference of total race be 1.5λ and that each of the four ports is separated by a distance of λ/4. The below figure shows the image of a Rat-race junction.
Let us consider a few cases, to understand the operation of a Rat-race junction.
If the input power is applied at port 1, it gets equally split into two ports, but in the clockwise direction for port2 and anti-clockwise direction for port 4. The port 3 has absolutely no output.
Why because, at ports 2 and 4, the powers combine in phase, whereas at port 3, cancellation occurs due to λ/2 path difference.
If the input power is applied at port 3, the power gets equally divided between port 2 and port 4. But there will be no output at port 1.
If two unequal signals are applied at port 1 itself, then the output will be proportional to the sum of the two input signals, which is divided between port 2 and 4. Now at port 3, the differential output appears.
- What is Microwaves Transmission?
- What are Terrestrial Microwaves in computer networks?
- What are Satellite Microwaves in computer networks?
- Rat in a Maze Problem
- The junction between two adjacent neurons is called:(a) nerve junction (b) sensory junction (c) synapse (d) neuro-muscular joint
- What are Microwaves? What are they used for?
- Junction Transistor
- Race Car in C++
- Bipolar Junction Transistor
- Is synapse and synaptic junction the same?
- The distance of the race is 22.5 km. The cyclist has completed 10 of the race. What is the distance covered by the cyclist?
- C Program for Rat in a Maze - Backtracking-2?
- What are the applications of Magic Tee Junction in Microwave Engineering?
- Rat in a Maze with multiple steps or jump allowed?
- Bipolar Junction Transistor (BJT) - Theory