- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are Instruction Formats?
Instruction includes a set of operation codes and operands that manage with the operation codes. Instruction format supports the design of bits in an instruction. It contains fields including opcode, operands, and addressing mode.
The instruction length is generally preserved in multiples of the character length, which is 8 bits. When the instruction length is permanent, several bits are assigned to opcode, operands, and addressing modes.
The function of allocating bits in the instruction can be interpreted by considering the following elements −
- Number of addressing modes
- Number of operands
- Number of CPU registers
- Number of register sets
- Number of address lines
The figure displayed the general IA-32 (Intel Architecture- 32 bits) instruction format. IA-32 is the instruction format that can Intel’s most outstanding microprocessors. This instruction format includes four fields, such as opcode field, addressing mode field, displacement field, and immediate field.
The opcode field has 1 or 2 bytes. The addressing mode field also includes 1 or 2 bytes. In the addressing mode field, an instruction needs only one byte if it uses only one register to generate the effective address of an operand.
The field that directly follows the addressing mode field is the displacement field. If an effective address for a memory operand is computed using the displacement value, then it uses either one or four bytes to encode. If an operand is an immediate value, then it is located in the immediate field and it appears either one or four bytes.
- What are the approaches of Instruction Scheduling?
- What are Instruction Cycles in computer architecture?
- What are the Token Ring Frame Formats in Computer Network?
- What are Instruction Codes and Operands in Computer Architecture?
- What are the Instruction issue policies of the superscalar processor?
- Which all formats are compatible as input by Process Integration SAP
- What is Instruction Pipeline in Computer Architecture?
- What is design space of instruction dispatch?
- What is Instruction Cycle in Computer Architecture?
- What is Instruction Mapping in Computer Architecture?
- How to use Formats in Perl?
- What is an instruction set in a computer?
- Python program to display various datetime formats
- What is interpretation of sequential consistency of instruction execution?