- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Decimal arithmetic operations in Computer Architecture?
Decimal arithmetic operations refer to a digital function that does decimal micro-operations. This function adds or subtracts decimal numbers by forming 9’s or 10’s complement of the subtrahend. This decimal arithmetic unit first accepts coded decimal numbers and then generates output in the binary form.
Algorithms that are used for arithmetic operations with decimal data and binary data are alike. If the micro-operations symbol is interpreted correctly the same flowchart can be used for both multiplication and division.
The decimal numbers in BCD are stored in groups of four bits in the computer registers. When performing decimal micro-operations, every 4-bit group represents a decimal digit and has to be taken as a group
The table shows symbols for decimal arithmetic micro-operations.
Symbols for Decimal Arithmetic Micro-Operations
|X ← X + Y||It can add decimal numbers and transfers the output
|Y′||9’s complement of Y.|
|X ← X + Y′ + 1||It can add the content of X and 10's complement of Y
and transfers the output to X.|
|dshr X||It can shifts the decimal number one digit towards
the right in register X.|
|dshl X||It can shifts the decimal number one digit towards
left in register X|
In this table, we can see a bar over the symbol for the register letter. This refers to the 9’s complement of decimal number that is stored in the register. When 1 is added to the 9’s complement the 10’s complement is produced.
Therefore, the symbol X ← X+ Y + 1 for decimal digits denotes, transfer of decimal sum that was formed by adding the original content X to the 10’s complement of Y.
It may be confusing to use similar symbols for 9’s complement and 1’s complement in case both types of data are used in the same system.
Therefore, it would be better to implement a different symbol for the 9’s complement. In case only one type of data is taken into consideration, the symbol would apply to the type of data used.
- What is Arithmetic Pipeline in Computer Architecture?
- What is Arithmetic Logic Shift Unit in Computer Architecture?
- What are Logic Micro-Operations in Computer Architecture?
- What are Arithmetic Micro-operations?
- Arithmetic operations using OpenCV in Python
- Computer System Architecture
- What are Computer Registers in Computer Architecture?
- What is computer architecture?
- Differences between Computer Architecture and Computer Organization.
- Arithmetic Operations on Images using OpenCV in Python
- Explain Arithmetic operations using pointers in C language?
- Arithmetic operations in excel file using openpyxl in Python
- What is Computer Network Architecture?
- How is computer Architecture developed?
- C# Program to perform all Basic Arithmetic Operations