- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
An alkali metal A gives a compound B (molecular mass = 40) on reacting with water. The compound B gives a soluble compound C on treatment with aluminium oxide. Identify A, B and C and give the reaction involved.
Alkali metal (A) is sodium (Na) which forms NaOH (compound B) with water. The reaction can be written as:
NaOH reacts with aluminium oxide (Al2O3 ) to form sodium aluminate (compound C) with the chemical formula NaAlO2.The reaction can be written as:
$Al_2O_3 +2NaOH →2NaAlO_2+H_2O$
- Related Articles
- An element A reacts with water to form a compound B which is used in whitewashing. The compound B on heating forms an oxide C which on treatment with water gives back B. Identify A, B and C and give the reactions involved.
- An organic compound A (molecular formula C2H4O2) reacts with Na metal to form a compound B and evolves a gas which burns with a pop sound. Compound A on treatment with an alcohol C in the presence of a little of concentrated sulphuric acid forms a sweet-smelling compound D (molecular formula C3H6O2). Compound D on treatment with NaOH solution gives back B and C. Identify A, B, C and D.
- Compound A, when dissolved in water, gives compound B which is used in whitewashing. Compound B reacts with carbon dioxide to form a white precipitate of compound C. Identify compounds A, B and C. Also write the equations involved.
- A compound C (molecular formula, C2H4O2 ) reacts with Na – metal to form a compound R and evolves a gas which burns with a pop sound. Compound C on treatment with an alcohol A in presence of an acid forms a sweet-smelling compound S (molecular formula, C3H6O2 ). On addition of NaOH to C, it also gives R and water. S on treatment with NaOH solution gives back R and A. Identify C, R, A, S and write down the reactions involved.
- Compound X and aluminium are used to join railway tracks. (a) Identify the compound X (b) Name the reaction (c) Write down its reaction.
- An organic compound A on heating with concentrated H2SO4 forms a compound B which on addition of one mole of hydrogen in presence of Ni forms a compound C. One mole of compound C on combustion forms two moles of CO2 and 3 moles of H2O. Identify the compounds A, B and C and write the chemical equations of the reactions involved.
- An organic compound A having the molecular formula C3H8O is a liquid at room temperature. The organic liquid A reacts with sodium metal to evolve a gas which burns causing a little explosion. When the organic liquid A heated with concentrated sulphuric acid at 170°C, it forms a compound B which decolourizes bromine water. The compound B adds on one molecule of hydrogen in the presence of Ni as catalyst to forms compound C which gives substitution reactions with chlorine.(a) What is compound A? (b) What is compound B? (c) What type of reaction occurs when A is converted into B? (d) What is compound C? (e) What type of reaction takes place when B is converted into C?
- An element A burns with golden flame in the air. It reacts with another element B, atomic number 17 to give a product C. An aqueous solution of product C on electrolysis gives a compound D and liberates hydrogen. Identify A, B, C and D. Also write down the equations for the reactions involved.
- An element reacts with oxygen to give a compound with a high melting point. This compound is also soluble in water. The element is likely to be(a) calcium(b) carbon(c) silicon(d)iron.
- A neutral organic compound X of molecular formula C2H6O on oxidation with acidified potassium dichromate gives an acidic compound Y. Compound X reacts with Y on warming in the presence of conc. H2SO4 to give a sweet smelling substance Z. What are X, Y, and Z?
- (a) Name one ionic compound containing chlorine and one covalent compound containing chlorine.(b) How will you find out which of the water soluble compound A or B is ionic?
- When a metal X is treated with cold water, it gives a basic salt Y with molecular formula XOH (Molecular mass = 40) and liberates a gas Z which easily catches fire. Identify X, Y and Z and also write the reaction involved.
- The compound obtained on reaction of iron with steam is/are:(a) Fe2O3 (b) Fe3O4(c) FeO (d) Fe2O3 and Fe3O4
- A metal A, which is used in thermite process, when heated with oxygen gives an oxide B, which is amphoteric in nature. Identify A and B. Write down the reactions of oxide B with HCl and NaOH.
- Two organic compounds A and B have the same molecular formula C6H12. Write the names and structural formulae:(a) if A is a cyclic compound(b) if B is an open chain compound(c) Which compound contains single bonds as well as a double bond?(d) Which compound contains only single bond?