- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the components of the Data Communication System?
Data communication is nothing but the exchange of data between any two devices via transmission media.
There are five main components of data communication and they are explained below −
This is the most valuable asset of a system for data communication. The message actually refers to data that is to be shared or a piece of information. A message is in any form, like a text file, an audio file, a video file, and so on.
Someone who can play the role of a source must be there to pass messages from source to destination. The sender plays a part of the data communication device root. A device that sends data messages is easy. The node can be a computer, mobile device, telephone, laptop, video camera, workstation, etc.
It is the destination where messages sent by the source have finally arrived. It is a message-receiving system. The receiver is in the form of a computer, cell phone, workstation, etc., identical to the sender.
There must be something in the entire data communication process that could act as a bridge between sender and receiver. The transmission is the physical path from the sender to the recipient where the information or message passes.
The examples of transmission medium are twisted pair cable, fibre optic cable, radio waves, microwaves, etc. The transmission medium could be guided (with wires) or unguided (without wires).
Different sets of rules have already been designed by the designers of communication systems to control data communication, reflecting a sort of agreement between communicating devices. These are characterized as protocols.
The protocol is also called as a set of rules regulating data communication. If two separate devices are connected, but there is no protocol between them, there will be no contact between the two devices of any sort.
- Related Articles
- What are the hardware components of the Computer System?
- What are the components of data mining?
- What are the components of a data warehouse?
- What are the three major components of Electrical Power System?
- What are the components of the transport system in highly organised plants?
- What are the Data Link Layer Communication Protocols in IoT?
- What are the components of 'user interface' of Windows Operating System?
- What are the Functions of Organizational Communication?
- What are the elements of a data warehouse system?
- What are the components of the CPU?
- What are the components of DBMS?
- What are the components of food?
- What is the abstract view of the components of a computer system?
- What are the important components of ODBC?
- What are the important components of JDBC?