- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is the abstract view of the components of a computer system?
A computer system consists of many resources like hardware and software, which are useful to complete a task. The common required resources are input/output devices, memory, file storage space, CPU etc.
The operating system acts as a manager for all the above resources and allocates them to specific programs and users, whenever necessary to perform a particular task. Therefore, the operating system is the resource manager that means it can manage the resources of a computer system internally. The resources are processor, memory, files, and I/O devices.
An operating system is the interface between the user and the machine. Before there were operating systems, people only used computers using Analog signals and digital signals. Along with the development of knowledge and technology, currently there are various operating systems with their respective advantages.
The abstract view of components of computer system is as follows −
Components of Computer System
A computer system can be divided into four components, which are as follows −
Hardware − The hardware is the physical part which we can touch and feel, the central processing unit (CPU), the memory, and the input/output (I/O) devices are the basic computing resources of a computer system.
Application programs − Application programs are user or programmer created programs like compilers, database systems, games, and business programs that define the ways in which these resources can be used to solve the computing problems of the users.
Users − There are different types of users like people, machines, and even other computers which are trying to solve different problems.
Operating system − An operating system is the interface between the user and the machine which controls and coordinates the use of the hardware among the various application programs for the various users.
- What are the hardware components of the Computer System?
- What are the physical components of a Computer Network?
- What are the components of the Data Communication System?
- What are the levels of computer system organization?
- What are the three major components of Electrical Power System?
- What are the basic components of the memory management unit in computer architecture?
- What is the importance of Computer?
- What are the components of 'user interface' of Windows Operating System?
- How does the operating system function from a system point of view?
- What is the computer architecture that supports the operating system?
- What are the components of the CPU?
- What are the components of DBMS?
- What is the Evolution of Computer Architecture?
- What are the components of a data warehouse?
- What is the purpose of System Programs?