- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Unsigned binary integers
Unsigned binary integers are numbers without any ‘+’or ‘-’ sign. Here all bits representing the number will represent the magnitude part of the number only. No bits will remain reserved for sign bit representation. An unsigned binary integer is a fixed-point system with no fractional digits.
Some real life Examples are −
Number of tables in a class,
The number of a member of a family.
Obviously, they are unsigned integers like 10 and 5. These numbers have to be represented in a computer using only binary notation or using bits.
Numbers are represented in a computer using a fixed size, like 4, 8, 16, 32 bits, etc. If numbers are represented in a computer using 8 bits, it is said that the computer uses 8-bit word size. Generally, word sizes are a power of 2. Modern computers typically support binary integers of 8 (i.e. 23),16 (i.e. 24),32 (i.e. 25),or 64 (i.e. 26)bits.A tabular column of some decimal numbers and their equivalent in unsigned binary is shown in the following, assuming a word size of 4bits.
|Number||Unsigned binary notation|
|0||0000 Minimum number, which is 0|
|15||1111 Maximum number, which is (24 -1)|
In this table,
5 in binary representation is −
|2||2 Remainder 1 |
|2||1 Remainder 0|
|2||0 Remainder 1|
So it is − 0101
And 0101 in decimal representation is − 0*23 +1*22 +0*21 +1*20
From this, it is obvious that if the word size is n bits, the range of (2n –1) numbers can be represented as ranging from 0 to (2n –1). A table of word size and the range of unsigned integers that can be represented is shown here –
|Word size||The range for unsigned numbers|
|4||0 to 24- 1 or 0 to 15|
|8||0 to 28- 1 or 0 to 255|
|16||0 to 216- 1 or 0 to 65535|
|32||0 to 232- 1 or 0 to 4,294,967,295|
|64||0 to 264-1 or 0 to 1.844674407x 1019|
In other words, when the word size is only 4 bits, it is not possible to represent a number like 223. The minimum word size has to be 8 bits to represent the number 223.
- Unsigned and Signed Binary Numbers
- Signed binary integers
- What is unsigned in MySQL?
- What is an unsigned char in C++?
- Convert varchar to unsigned integer in MySQL
- What are signed and unsigned keywords in C++?
- Add two unsigned numbers using bits in C++.
- Difference between signed and unsigned integer in Arduino
- Restoring Division Algorithm For Unsigned Integer in C++
- Median in a stream of integers (running integers) in C++
- ConvertDecimal to equivalent 32-bit unsigned integer in C#
- How to convert integers into integers written in words in R?
- Powerful Integers in Python
- Group Integers in Python