- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
The Mobile Telephone System
Mobile telephone service (MTS) connects mobile radio telephones with other networks like public switched telephone networks (PSTN), other mobile telephones and communication systems like Internet.
Basic Mobile Communications System
Mobile phones and other mobile devices, called mobile stations are connected to base stations. Communication between the mobile stations and the base stations are done by wireless radio signals, which may be both data signals and voice signals. Each base station has a coverage area around it, such that mobile stations within this area can connect provided they have access permissions. Base stations contain transmitters and receivers to convert radio signals to electrical signals and vice versa. Base stations transmit the message in form of electrical signals to the mobile switching center (MSC). MSCs are connected to other MSCs and public networks like PSTNs.
The system is diagrammatically shown as follows −
Generations of Mobile Phone Systems
1G (First Generation) − They were standards for analog voice mobile phone communications.
2G(Second Generation) − They were standards for digital voice mobile phone communications.
3G(Third Generation) − These standards were for communications in form of both digital voice as well as digital data.
4G(Fourth Generation) − 4G standards provide mobile broadband internet access in addition to digital voice and data.
5G(Fifth Generation) − It is the next step of mobile communication standards beyond 4G which currently under development.
- Related Articles
- Improved Mobile Telephone System
- Structure of the Telephone System
- Universal Mobile Telecommunications System
- Advanced Mobile Phone System
- Digital Advanced Mobile Phone System
- Global System for Mobile Communications
- Telephone Modems
- Telephone Conversation
- What are the strategy of mobile database system in information security?
- Public Switched Telephone Network
- A microphone converts:(a) electrical energy into sound energy in ordinary telephone(b) microwave energy into sound energy in a mobile phone(c) sound energy into mechanical energy in a stereo system(d) sound energy into electrical energy in public address system
- The Mobile Web
- Explain why it is safer to use a wireless telephone instead of a landline telephone during lightning.
- How to Make Your Site Mobile Friendly – The Mobile SEO?
- How to use telephone input type in HTML?