Why mercury used is in thermometers if it is harmful to humans?

When a thermometer glass breaks and the mercury is not cleaned up properly, the mercury will evaporate and contaminate the surroundings. It may not kill people but can cause nausea, headache, and weakness and can damage the liver and kidneys.

Inhaling mercury vapors can damage the nervous system and can reduce immunity power. The inorganic salts of mercury can damage the skin and eyes. Even a small amount of mercury is a threat to the development of the child in utero and early in life.

Thus it is better to avoid getting close to mercury. Whenever mercury fell on the ground, clean it thoroughly to avoid any health imbalances.


Simply Easy Learning

Updated on: 10-Oct-2022


Kickstart Your Career

Get certified by completing the course

Get Started