Why is acid harmful for us?

Strong acids are corrosive in nature and are a strong dehydrating agent. When corrosive acids react with the skin, they hydrolyze the fats. Strong acids are harmful to the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. Acids are harmful to the digestive system when swallowed.

Acids react violently with water and are harmful in the presence of moisture in the mouth or eyes. Also, vapours of some acids are soluble in water and can cause damage to the human eyes, nasal passages, throat, and lungs. 

The above image shows a hand after 2 seconds of contact with nitric acid.

Symptoms: When an acid reacts with the skin, it develops redness, pain, peeling, and blistering. When inhaled, acid cause swelling, inflammation, chest pain, and breathing problems in mucous membranes and air pipe. When the acid comes in contact with the eyes, it may cause watering, pain, open sores, and blindness. When acid is ingested, it causes pain and inflammation of internal tissue, followed by vomiting and diarrhea.


Simply Easy Learning

Updated on: 10-Oct-2022


Kickstart Your Career

Get certified by completing the course

Get Started