- Adding and Subtracting Decimals
- Addition of Aligned Decimals
- Decimal Addition With 3 Numbers
- Subtraction of Aligned Decimals
- Decimal Subtraction: Basic
- Decimal subtraction: Advanced
- Decimal Addition and Subtraction With 3 or More Numbers
- Estimating a Decimal Sum or Difference
- Addition With Money
- Subtraction With Money
- Word Problem With Addition or Subtraction of 2 Decimals
- Word Problem With Addition of 3 or 4 Decimals and Whole numbers
- Word Problem With Subtraction of a Whole Number and a Decimal: Regrouping With Zeros
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Subtraction of Aligned Decimals
Decimals have to be aligned so that digits with same place values are placed one above the other. Such decimals are aligned decimals. The decimals have to be aligned before subtraction is done. Subtraction of aligned decimals is similar to subtraction of whole numbers.
First the decimals are aligned so that digits of same place values are placed above and below each other.
We then add zeros to the right of decimal numbers where ever necessary so that all numbers have the same number of digits after the decimal point.
We begin with the rightmost column and start subtracting the digits.
Then we keep moving to the left till all columns are subtracted.
Subtract 18.48 − 6.3
The decimals are aligned as shown. A zero is added to the right of 6.3 as the maximum number of decimal places is 2.
We start with the right most column. Subtract 8 − 0 = 8; then moving to left column 4 − 3 = 1; again moving left 8 − 6 = 2; next 1 − 0 = 1;
So the difference of the decimals is 12.18
Subtract 39.876 − 26.45
The decimals are aligned as shown. A zero is added to the right of 26.45 as the maximum number of decimal places is 3.
We start with the right most column. Subtract 6 − 0 = 6; then moving to left column 7 − 5 = 2; again 8 − 4 = 4; next 9 − 6 = 3.; 3 – 2 = 1
So the difference of the decimals is 13.426