- Adding and Subtracting Decimals
- Addition of Aligned Decimals
- Decimal Addition With 3 Numbers
- Subtraction of Aligned Decimals
- Decimal Subtraction: Basic
- Decimal subtraction: Advanced
- Decimal Addition and Subtraction With 3 or More Numbers
- Estimating a Decimal Sum or Difference
- Addition With Money
- Subtraction With Money
- Word Problem With Addition or Subtraction of 2 Decimals
- Word Problem With Addition of 3 or 4 Decimals and Whole numbers
- Word Problem With Subtraction of a Whole Number and a Decimal: Regrouping With Zeros
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Addition of Aligned Decimals
The decimals are aligned so that the digits of same place values are above and below each other. Such decimals are aligned decimals. It is necessary that the decimals are aligned before addition. Addition of aligned decimals is similar to addition of whole numbers.
Aligning the decimal numbers so that digits of same place values are lined up vertically one above the other
Adding zeros to the right of the decimal numbers where ever necessary.
So, at first the decimals are aligned so that the digits of same place values are above and below each other. Then zeros are added to the right of decimal numbers as required. We begin with the rightmost column and start adding the digits. Then we keep moving to the left till all columns are added.
Add 12.53 + 6.32
The decimals are aligned as shown.
We start with the right most column. Add 3 + 2 = 5; then moving to left column 5 + 3 = 8; again 2 + 6 = 8; next 1 + 0 = 1.
So the sum of the decimals is 18.85
Add 13.41 + 7.309
The decimals are aligned as shown. A zero is added to the right of 13.41 as the maximum number of decimal places is 3.
We start with the right most column. Add 0 + 9 = 9; then moving left 1 + 0 = 1; again 4 + 3 = 7; next 3 + 7 = 10 we bring down 0; carry 1 to next column. 1 + 1 = 2;
So the sum of the decimals is 20.719