- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Wide Area Network (WAN)
A wide area network (WAN) is a computer network that covers a large geographical area comprising a region, a country, a continent or even the whole world. WAN includes the technologies to transmit data, image, audio and video information over long distances and among different LANs and MANs.
The distinguishing features of WAN are
WANs have a large capacity, connecting a large number of computers over a large area, and are inherently scalable.
They facilitate the sharing of regional resources.
They provide uplinks for connecting LANs and MANs to the Internet.
Communication links are provided by public carriers like telephone networks, network providers, cable systems, satellites etc.
Typically, they have low data transfer rate and high propagation delay, i.e.they have low communication speed.
They generally have a higher bit error rate.
Example of WAN
4G Mobile Broadband Systems
A network of bank cash dispensers.
- What is WAN (Wide Area Network) in Computer Network?
- What are WAN network technologies?
- Explain the functions of WAN in Computer Network
- What is LAN (Local Area Network) in Computer Network?
- What is MAN (Metropolitan Area Network) in Computer Network?
- What is Storage Area Network (SAN) in Computer Network?
- What is Campus Area Network (CAN)?
- Difference between Storage Area Network (SAN) and Network Attached Storage (NAS)
- Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) in Computer Networking
- What is Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN)?
- What is Near-me Area Network (NAN)?
- World Wide Web (WWW)
- What is WAN accelerator?
- How to get current area from Network provider in android?
- Difference between LAN and WAN