- DCN Tutorial
- Data Comm & Networks Home
- DCN - Overview
- DCN - Computer Network Types
- DCN - Network LAN Technologies
- DCN - Computer Network Topologies
- DCN - Computer Network Models
- DCN - Computer Network Security
- Physical Layer
- DCN - Physical Layer Introduction
- DCN - Digital Transmission
- DCN - Analog Transmission
- DCN - Transmission media
- DCN - Wireless Transmission
- DCN - Multiplexing
- DCN - Network Switching
- Data Link Layer
- DCN - Data Link Layer Introduction
- DCN - Error detection and Correction
- DCN - Data Link Control & Protocols
- Network Layer
- DCN - Network Layer Introduction
- DCN - Network Addressing
- DCN - Routing
- DCN - Internetworking
- DCN - Network Layer Protocols
- Transport Layer
- DCN - Transport Layer Introduction
- DCN - Transmission Control Protocol
- DCN - User Datagram Protocol
- Application Layer
- DCN - Application Layer Introduction
- DCN - Client-Server Model
- DCN - Application Protocols
- DCN - Network Services
- DCN Useful Resources
- DCN - Quick Guide
- DCN - Useful Resources
Explain the functions of WAN in Computer Network
There are various functions of WAN, which are as follows −
Remote Data and Job Entry
It is feasible to introduce the information on the sales and transactions at the sale terminals using WANs. It is also possible to centralize this information in a computer for processing or broadcasting purposes. For example, supermarkets in different cities linked through WANs can transmit all sales information from their remote sale centers. The central purchase and distribution center can supervise all the sale figures on a regular daily basis.
It is convenient for a business to centralize regional information. For example, auto-parts dealers can help locate rare-auto parts using a centralized computer file of inventory items. WANs enable such dealers to query centralized databases.
Organizations in advanced countries use WANs to help employee communications, store on long-distance phone calls and let writing, cut prices on the arrangement of written records, and overcome the time fail involved in the conventional means of extracting information between different branches.
In this device, messages are communicated quickly. Web applications such as Facebook, Whatsapp, and Skype enable us to connect with a partner.
If we use the dedicated connections for our organization, then this provides high bandwidth. The high bandwidth boosts the information transfer cost, which thus builds the efficiency of our organization.
- Related Articles
- What is WAN (Wide Area Network) in Computer Network?
- Explain the services provided by Network Layer in Computer Network.
- Wide Area Network (WAN)
- Explain the TCP Services in the Computer Network.
- Explain various Computer Network Models
- Explain the Token Ring Network (IEEE Standard 802.5) in Computer Network.
- Explain the ATM Cell Structure in Computer Network
- Explain the E-Mail Format in Computer Network.
- Explain the TCP Service Model in Computer Network
- What are WAN network technologies?
- Explain the Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing in Computer Network.
- Explain Frequency Shift Keying (FSK) in Computer Network
- Functions of the Network Layer
- What are the services of Network Security in Computer Network?
- Basic Network Attacks in Computer Network