- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Who’s Who in the International Standards World
International Standards are needed so that products and systems developed in different parts of the world are interoperable and compatible with each other. The standards aim to ease out the technical differences and also to ensure product safety.
The most prominent organization that lays down international standards is the ISO (International Standards Organization). Two other major organizations for technical standards are NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) and IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers).
International Standards Organization (ISO)
ISO is an independent, voluntary, non-treaty, non-government standards organization. It issues standards of a vast number of subjects that may be proprietary, industrial or commercial in nature. Its members are national standards organizations of member countries. Some of its prominent members are BSI (British Standards Institution), ANSI (American National Standards Institute), AFNOR (Association Française de Normalisation), etc.
ISO has over 200 Technical Committees (TC), each of which defines the standards for a particular subject. Each TC has sub-committees (SC) which in turn has working groups (WG).
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
NIST is a metrology laboratory of the US Department of Commerce. It issues standards and organizes laboratory programs in the fields of nanoscience and technology, engineering, IT, material measurement, physical measurement and neutron research. It provides Standard Reference Materials to industry, academia, government and many other users. NIST publishes Handbook 44 each year.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
IEEE is a professional association that aims for educational and technical advancement in the fields of electrical engineering, electronics engineering, computer engineering, telecommunications and other related disciplines. It has a standardization organization IEEE-SA (IEEE Standards Association) that develops standards in the technical fields. One of its most notable standards is the IEEE 802 group that is widely used for computer networking.
- Who’s Who in the Internet Standards World
- Who’s Who in the Telecommunications World
- Who are the famous Bollywood personality's who are mentioned in "Guinness Book of World Records"?
- Who are currently the best programmers in the world?
- Who are the most famous motivational speakers in the world?
- who are the top ten most beautiful women in the world?
- Who are currently the top 5 richest cricketers in the world?
- Who knows Coca-Cola's secret recipe?
- Who is Rapunzel? What's her story?
- Who are the billionaires who made it from rags to riches?
- Who created Selenium?
- Who is responsible for creating rumor that world would end in 2012?
- Who started the #MeToo revolution?
- Who were the early Mathematicians?
- Who are the Rohingyas and what's their status in India?