- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Who’s Who in the Telecommunications World
The service domains, legal status, and scopes of telecommunication companies worldwide are varied. In order to provide compatibility among different agencies, International Telecommunication Union (ITU) was formed. ITU is a specialized agency of the United Nations Organizations that standardizes information and communication technologies worldwide. ITU membership lays down the who’s who of the telecommunications world.
Some of the main functions of the ITU are
- Allocates global use of radio spectrum
- Assigns satellite orbits through international cooperation
- Develops standards for networking technologies
- Strives to improve communications in developing and underdeveloped countries.
- Protects and supports communications and information exchange.
ITU has three main sectors
- ITU-T: It is the Telecommunications Standardization Sector. It defines the global as well as the local standards for Internet access, communications protocols, compression of voice and video, home networking and many other particulars of communications.
- ITU-R: It is the Radio-communications Sector. It coordinates the allocation and management of radio frequency spectrum and satellite orbits that aid in satellite enabled services like phone calls, television services, online maps and navigation.
- ITU-D: It is the Telecommunication Development Sector. It has programmes to develop ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) particularly in the developing and underdeveloped areas. It strives to bridge the “digital divide” between countries.
Membership to ITU is of two types
1) UN Members (countries and states) who join ITU as member states.
2) Private organizations who join ITU as Non-voting members. This includes −
- Telephone companies, e.g. AT&T, Vodafone
- Manufacturers of telecom equipments, e.g. Cisco, Nokia
- Vendors of computers, e.g. Microsoft, Toshiba
- Manufacturers of chips, e.g. Intel, Motorola
- Who’s Who in the International Standards World
- Who’s Who in the Internet Standards World
- Who are the famous Bollywood personality's who are mentioned in "Guinness Book of World Records"?
- Who are currently the best programmers in the world?
- Who are the most famous motivational speakers in the world?
- who are the top ten most beautiful women in the world?
- Who are currently the top 5 richest cricketers in the world?
- Who knows Coca-Cola's secret recipe?
- Who is Rapunzel? What's her story?
- Who are the billionaires who made it from rags to riches?
- Who created Selenium?
- Who is responsible for creating rumor that world would end in 2012?
- Who started the #MeToo revolution?
- Who were the early Mathematicians?
- Who are the Rohingyas and what's their status in India?