- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
A connection-oriented service is one that establishes a dedicated connection between the communicating entities before data communication commences. It is modeled after the telephone system. To use a connection-oriented service, the user first establishes a connection, uses it and then releases it. In connection-oriented services, the data streams/packets are delivered to the receiver in the same order in which they have been sent by the sender.
Connection-oriented services may be done in either of the following ways −
- Circuit-switched connection: In circuit switching, a dedicated physical path or a circuit is established between the communicating nodes and then data stream is transferred.
- Virtual circuit-switched connection: Here, the data stream is transferred over a packet switched network, in such a way that it seems to the user that there is a dedicated path from the sender to the receiver. A virtual path is established here. However, other connections may also be using this path.
Connection-oriented services may be of the following types −
- Reliable Message Stream: e.g. sequence of pages
- Reliable Byte Stream: e.g. song download
- Unreliable Connection: e.g. VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol)
Advantages of Connection-Oriented Services
- This is mostly a reliable connection.
- Congestions are less frequent.
- Sequencing of data packets is guaranteed.
- Problems related to duplicate data packets are alleviated.
- Suitable for long connection.
Disadvantages of Connection-Oriented Services
- Resource allocation is needed before communication. This often leads to under-utilized network resources.
- The lesser speed of connection due to the time is taken for establishing and relinquishing the connection.
- In the case of router failures or network congestions, there are no alternative ways to continue communication.
- Implementation of connection-oriented services
- Difference between Connection-oriented and Connection-less Services
- Differences between Connection-oriented and Connection-less Services.
- Synchronous Connection-Oriented (SCO) Link
- What is a connection oriented service?
- Distinguish between Connection-Oriented and Connectionless Service
- What is Implementation of connection less services?
- Character - Oriented Framing and Bit - Oriented Framing
- Difference between Row oriented and column oriented database
- Object Oriented language v/s Procedure oriented programming language.
- Object-Oriented Databases
- Connectionless Services
- Differentiate between block-oriented and character-oriented devices in UNIX
- Object-oriented Data Model
- Object Oriented Programming in Python?