- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why has Japan been declared as the safest place in the World to deliver a baby by the UNICEF?
Japan’s infant mortality rate in 2015 was 2.04 per thousand which is the lowest in the world. This statistic itself is the strongest indicator of the reason why the UNICEF considers Japan to be the safest place on earth to give birth to a baby. Obviously, there are many other medical, sociological and technological reasons that have combined to ensure such strong child immunity rates in Japan but it will also be worthwhile to consider the inherent discipline with which a Japanese individual lives his or her life.
For instance, pregnant women in Japan avoid the pain-relieving epidural procedure out of respect for their culture which considers labor pain a necessity for bonding between mother and child.
Strict Food and Behavior Norms
This doesn’t imply that avoiding epidural to endure labor pain results in improved infant survival rates in Japan but it certainly validates the fact that a majority of childbirths in Japan happen normally with the best child survival rate in the world. This clearly proves that pregnant Japanese women take very good care of their health by complying with strict food and behavior norms.
Maternity in Japan is treated with a lot more sensitivity and intensity than in most other parts of the world. Women, who give normal birth to their babies, stay in hospital care for five days while those who deliver through the Caesarean process remain in hospital care for a full week.
Advanced Hospital Care
Depending on the condition of the mother and child, the period of hospital care can increase considerably. Babies born prematurely sometimes develop complications and have to be kept in an incubator for a long time stretching up to a month in some cases. While this is very expensive in most countries including the United States where it cost $200 per day, in Japan, it is completely free of cost.
No one factor can be singled out as the reason to explain the brilliant child survival rate in Japan but it is the approach toward a traditional but robust maternity culture combined with the efficiency of an advanced industrial society that makes it the safest place for a child to be born.
- Where is the safest place to stand outside in a thunderstorm?
- How has TCS been recognized as one of the world's best employers by the Top Employer Institute for the third consecutive year?
- Which country has the best education system in the world and why?
- Configuring any CDN to deliver only one file no matter what URL has been requested
- Which country has the most beautiful women in the world?
- How has the Walmart-Flipkart deal been beneficial for the end user?
- What interesting trend has been observed in the results of the recent elections?
- Why did Alexander aspire to win the whole world?
- How to determine if an activity has been called by a Notification in Android?
- How to fix getImageData() error ‘The canvas has been tainted by cross-origin data’ in HTML?
- Why the main method has to be in a java class?
- Why is the Mount Everest considered the most insurmountable peaks in the world?
- Python Pandas - Check whether the DateOffset value has been normalized or not
- Python Pandas - Check whether the BusinessDay Offset has been normalized or not
- Python Pandas - Check whether the BusinessHour Offset has been normalized or not