- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why do people get a hunch back in old age?
What we call a hunchback is a spinal deformity causing forward curved posture mostly seen in people above 40 years of age. This is called Hyperkyphosis in medical terminology and is believed that 20 to 40% of men and women will develop this excessive curvature of the back with advancing age.
This spinal deformity usually results due to thinning of bones or osteoporosis, poor posture, degenerative disc disease, muscle weakness and hereditary factors.
Hunchback or Hyperkyphosis will be initially assessed by a visual inspection of your back. The spinal curve may be measured using a flexible ruler or x-ray. If the curve is beyond 40 degrees, then it is confirmed as hyperkyphosis.
Causes of Hyperkyphosis
Usually, it is associated with thinning of bones which are medically termed as osteoporosis which may also result in hairline fractures in bones.
Degenerative disk or arthritis can also cause spinal changes which may result in curvature of the spine.
Sometimes they are associated with a sudden change of posture due to ageing.
Some kinds of tumours, infections or general neurological changes as a result of other problems may also cause Hyperkyphosis.
Once you are detected with hyperkyphosis, the physicians may prescribe imaging tests such as x-rays or MRI of the thoracic spine. According to medical research, this condition can be delayed if not totally prevented with improving posture and taking care of physical fitness.
- Related Articles
- Why do people get angry frequently?
- Why do the parents in their old age become a burden for their children?
- Why do people often get heart attacks in bathrooms?
- Get the old classic chat interface back in facebook
- People look beautiful and graceful with age. Do you agree?
- Why do many people like to dance a lot?
- Why do people consider law as a honorable career?
- Why do people donate for social causes?
- Why do the Japanese people make origami?
- Why do people perspire a lot on a hot humid day?
- Why do people mostly wear black while mourning?
- During summers why do people feel more hot in Delhi than people living in Mumbai ?
- Why do people always advise you to cry after a tragedy?
- Why do people prefer Python as an AI language?
- Why do some people need to use a dialysis machine ? What does the machine do ?