- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Why do our eyes water when we cut onions?
Most of the Indian cooking requires onions to enhance the taste of their Biryanis, curries, and salads. The first job of the chef will start with cutting onions. It is a common experience that as soon as we start chopping onions we start tearing up. Rubbing the eyes will further make it worse.
Let us decode why our eyes water when we cut onions, as we cannot stop eating onions which are rich in Vitamin C and lowers cholesterol apart from adding great taste to our dishes.
While chopping onions, cells inside the onions break and releases Lachrymatory-factor synthase, which forms the sulfenic acid.
The acid when mixed with enzymes, forms a gas called propanethiol S-oxide.
This gas when reaches our eyes gets mixed with water in the eyes and forms sulphuric acid.
This sulfuric acid makes our eyes sting, which results in tears, and the more water produced in our eyes leads to the production of more acid and thus more irritation.
When you start cooking onions, it deactivates the enzymes and stops releasing the gas.
There are many ways to escape this tearful experience.
Using a sharp knife to cut the onion will reduce the amount of damage to the onion cells, and thus leads to less release of gas.
Keep the onions in water after taking off the peel. Onions cut into halves and quarters will be more helpful. Keeping the onions in the freezer for 10-15 minutes will also help.
Many say taking out your tongue while cutting onions will stop your eyes from tearing because this way the gas will be absorbed by our tongue.
Wearing swimming goggles
Chewing gum during cutting onions might help.
Professionals don't face this problem often as they chop fast and do less damage to onions cells and also this does not give time to the gas to reach the eyes.
- Why do we close our eyes when we sneeze?
- Why do we blink our eyes?
- If we cut our vein why will we die?
- Why do we feel light on our feet when standing in a swimming pool with water up to our armpits ?
- Why do we water plants?
- Why we do not drink sea water?
- Why do we add alum in the water?
- Why do we feel hot when we wear winter clothes?
- When we get a cut, why excessive blood cells are not flowing out?
- Why the electrons don't fall down when we cut a current-carrying wire?
- Why do we need food, we can also survive with water?
- Why do fishes die when taken out of water?
- Why We See Water Droplets In A Glass When We Pour Child Water In It?
- Why should we do our duty but leave the result to god?
- Why It Hurts When Someone Pulls Our Hair But Not When We Go For A Haircut ??