- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What were the literary qualities of Samuel Taylor Coleridge?
Samuel Taylor Coleridge is a popular name among all Romantic poets who were influenced by the French Revolution. He was a leader of the British Romantic movement and was born on October 21, 1772, in Devonshire, England.
Literary Qualities of Samuel Taylor Coleridge
1. Treatment of the supernatural: He treats the supernatural in such a manner that it becomes convincing and at the same time, in some sense, a criticism of life.
2. Suspension of Disbelief: The way in which Coleridge has achieved the willing suspension of disbelief has been even explained beautifully in the book The Romantic Imagination by Bowra.
3. Realism: He exercises an imaginative realism, which is an attitude of accepting things and situations as they are.
4. Extreme Emotions Beautifully Described: His poems are balanced, as both ecstasy and grimness are described with equal importance.
5. All Traits of Romanticism: His poems are an epitome of Liberty, Fraternity, and Equality (Ideals of the French Revolution). Also, individualism, sensuousness, love for Nature, inspiration from self can be seen as embellishments in his works.
6. Medievalism Present: Medievalism is present everywhere in Coleridge's poetry. The whole Rime of Ancient Mariner is wrought with the color and glamour of Middle Ages.
The genius of Coleridge was similar to that of Wordsworth. While Wordsworth dealt with naturalism, Coleridge made supernatural an important domain.
- What are the qualities of a best friend?
- What are the qualities of an ideal source of energy?
- What are the various literary devices used in English Literature?
- How was the writing style of Wordsworth different from Coleridge?
- What are the best qualities of Miss World 2017 - Manushi Chhilar?
- Top Qualities of a Great Boss
- What were the ideals of French Revolution?
- What were the limitations of Dobereiner’s classification?
- Qualities of Good Assessments: Standardization, Practicality, Reliability & Validity
- What are the major qualities that a girl wants in her life partner?
- What were the limitations of Newlands’ law of octaves?
- What were the limitations of Newland’s Law of Octaves?
- How to Set a Grading Rubric for Literary Essays
- Top Qualities of a Good Manager and a Leader
- What were the drawbacks of Rutherford’s model of an atom?