- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is the size of a desert rain frog?
Breviceps Macrops is known as the desert rain frog. This species belongs to the “Brevicipitidae” family, found only in Namibia and South Africa. The narrow strip of sandy shores that form in between the sea and the sand dunes is their natural habitat.
The desert frog spends the day in a moist sand burrow dug up to the depth of 10-20cms. Unlike normal frogs, the desert frogs crawl and walk instead of hopping, as they have a stout body and webbed toes, hopping would be difficult.
There are some interesting facts regarding this rare animal which is on the verge of extinct.
The desert frog is a very tiny, plump species of amphibians with bulging eyes.
They have a remarkably short snout and short limbs and they have webbed toes on spade-like feet.
It has a transparent area of skin on the underside through which the internal organs can be seen.
It has a yellowish-brown colour and often found to have sand adhering to its skin.
It has a very unusual high-pitched voice (cry) which is similar to that of a squeaky toy.
The breeding of the desert frogs is done by the direct development of eggs laid in the burrow. There is no aqueous tadpole stage.
The desert frog size ranges from 4mm-6mm.
Surprisingly they have a long lifespan of 4-15years.
The desert frogs dig a burrow almost 10 times of their size, i.e., 10cms.
The desert frogs need a moist atmosphere to survive, hence they are found in foggy places and stay active at night time. They spend most of the day burrowed in the sand and comes out in the night to feed on insects and their larvae.
Like other ferocious African animals, the Desert Rain Frog lets out a fearsome roar when threatened, which doesn't suit its minor size.
- Related Articles
- What is acid rain? How is acid rain caused? What are the harmful effects of acid rain?
- What is the meaning of Acid Rain?
- What is Acid Rain?
- The Desert
- What is Rain Water Harvesting?
- If the magnification of a body of size 1 m is 2, what is the size of the image?
- In the food chain comprising of a snake, grass, insect, and frog, the secondary consumer is :(a) insect (b) snake (c) frog (d) grass
- The probability that it will rain tomorrow is 0.85. What is the probability that it will not rain tomorrow?
- What happens if it rains in the desert?
- What is acid rain? Why is it harmful to us?OrExplain circumstances leading to acid rain. How does acid rain affect us?
- What is rain gauge? Who invented it? What is the idea behind it?
- What is the size of a pointer in C/C++?
- What is the maximum size of a document in MongoDB?
- What is rain shadow and what causes its formation?
- In a food chain of frog, grass, insect, and snake, assign trophic level to frog.