- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is Selenium and why is it chosen extensively?
Answer: Selenium is an automation testing framework or suite developed by Jason Huggins in the year 2004. It has been upgraded several times in the past. Selenium WebDriver 2.0 came in the market in the year 2011, 3.0 in the year 2016 and currently the latest version is 4.0.
Selenium is used to create automation scripts for verifying functional requirements in web applications thus reducing the manual testing efforts and increasing quality and productivity. It also supports a vast range of browsers and platforms.
Selenium is not a standalone tool; it is rather considered as a package of multiple tools so it is often referred to as a suite. Selenium comprises of the following group of tools −
Selenium Integrated Development − Selenium Integrated Development also called Selenium IDE is a tool which primarily supports record and playback.
Selenium Remote Control − Selenium Remote Control also called Selenium RC is basically a server that allows to create test scripts in multiple programming languages and browsers.
Selenium WebDriver − It is a tool that has numerous advantages over Selenium RC. Selenium WebDriver does not have a server and it communicates with the browser.
Selenium Grid − Selenium Grid allows execution to be carried out on more than one environment and browsers simultaneously. Thus it is often used for parallel execution.
Selenium is used extensively in the industry because of the following features −
|Environments Supported||Windows, Linux , Mac|
|Customer support||Open Source Community|
|Browsers Supported||Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari|
|Release Cycles||Small release cycles with response|
|Continuous Integration||Plugin to schedule scripts in Jenkins|
|Third Party Integration||Yes|
Selenium can be used for the following testing types −
Functional test cases
Regression test cases
Acceptance test cases
Sanity test cases
Smoke test cases
End to End test cases
Cross-browser test cases
Integration test cases
Integration test cases
- What is CSS and why it is used?
- What is HTML5 IndexedDB and why it is used?
- What is training? When and why it is needed?
- What is .git folder and why is it hidden?
- What is cyber hygiene, and why is it important?
- What is data mining and why is it important
- What is Basant/Vasant Panchami and why it is celebrated?
- What Is the Kyoto Protocol and Why Is It Important?
- What is gestational diabetes? Why is it caused?
- What is BGP and why do we need it?
- What is SciPy and why should we use it?
- What is SEO and why it is so popular in Local businesses?
- What is Methanol and why is it considered an alternative cooking fuel?
- What is mundan ceremony or mundan sanskar and why is it necessary?
- What is emotional intelligence and why do you need it?