- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is Multitasking/Time Sharing Operating System?
The different types of operating systems are as follows −
Batch Operating System
Multiprogramming Operating System
Multitasking Operating System
Multiprocessing Operating System
Real time Operating System
Now, let us discuss the Time sharing operating system
Time sharing Operating system
Logically, it is an extension of multiprogramming as in multi programming the user cannot interact properly with the system but in time-sharing it is possible because in this CPU executes multiple processes by switching among them and giving the CPU time to each process and in this time the user can also interact with the process.
Time-sharing OS provides short response time as the user can also directly give instruction to the operating system.
It uses or utilizes the complete CPU and not let the CPU sit idle as it uses various CPU scheduling to provide the multi programming features to the user by providing each process a short time to execute until it is not finished.
It also utilizes some more memory as each process requires swap-in and swap-out when it starts executing and stops executing.
The figure given below depicts the functioning of the time sharing operating system −
The advantages of time sharing operating system are as follows −
In time sharing each process gets equal opportunity to execute because equal time quantum is given to each process.
The CPU is always busy because of maintaining time slots, there is no wastage of CPU time.
The disadvantage of time sharing operating system is as follows −
In the Time sharing operating system the process having higher priority does not get the chance to be executed first. This is because an equal priority is given to each process.
- Time-Sharing Operating system
- Difference Between Time Sharing and Real-Time Operating System
- What is the Real Time Operating System?
- What is an Operating System?
- What is the operating system?
- What is the operating system evolution?
- What is a batch operating system?
- What is a Multiprocessing Operating System?
- What is the Network Operating System?
- What is a distributed Operating System?
- What is an embedded operating system?
- What is a multiprogramming Operating System?
- What is the operating system structure?
- What is a process in Operating System?
- What is Context Switching in Operating System?