- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is the Network Operating System?
The operating system is a software which handles the computer's functionality like scheduling, input/output operation, resource allocation, file system manipulation, etc. and it acts as an interface between the user and hardware.
The different types of operating systems are as follows −
Batch Operating System
Multiprogramming Operating System
Multitasking Operating System
Multiprocessing Operating System
Real time Operating System
Now let us discuss the Network operating system.
Network Operating System
The OS specializes in network devices such as a router, switch, or firewall. The OS manages these network resources. The OS supports workstations, Personal Computers (PCs), older terminals connected on a Local Area Network (LAN).
Examples of Network OSs are Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Microsoft Windows Server 2008, UNIX, Linux, Mac OS X, etc.
The OS thus facilitates connecting and communicating various autonomous computers over a network. Its purpose is to support workstations, share databases, sharing of application, and sharing of file and printer access amongst computers in a network.
The network OS is depicted below −
Functions of Network OS
The functions of Network OS are as follows −
It includes special functions to connect computers and devices into a LAN.
Provides protocol support.
Provides processor support.
Multiprocessing support for applications.
Provides security features such as authorizations, authentication, restrictions, and access control.
Provides features for file, printing, web service, and replication.
It is responsible for name services and directory management.
It provides user management functionality.
It provides remote access.
It provisions system management.
Offers internetworking features such as routing and Wide Area Network (WAN) ports.
It has capabilities for clustering.
- What is the Windows 2000 Operating System in Computer Network?
- Network operating System (RTOS)
- Difference Between Network Operating System and Distributed Operating System
- What is the operating system?
- What is the operating system evolution?
- What is the operating system structure?
- What is an Operating System?
- What is the Real Time Operating System?
- What is a batch operating system?
- What is a Multiprocessing Operating System?
- What is a distributed Operating System?
- What is an embedded operating system?
- What is a multiprogramming Operating System?
- What is a process in Operating System?
- What is Context Switching in Operating System?